Awards & Accomplishments
Milone & MacBroom is proud of its multidisciplinary approach to projects and its commitment to excellence and service. These traits have been recognized by public and private organizations that have selected the firm for special awards.
- Milone & MacBroom was awarded a Merit Award from CT ASLA for the Ethel Walker Woods Stewardship Plan for the Town of Simsbury, Connecticut.
Milone & MacBroom received the Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards' (CLARB) Presidential Recognition Award in recognition of the firm's culture of service and commitment to CLARB through regulatory board service, participation in exam development and scoring, and filling other vacancies and needs that have risen throughout CLARB’s history.
Milone & MacBroom received the EBC Nicholas Humber Environmental-Energy Award for Outstanding Collaboration at the 22nd EBEE Awards in recognition of the outstanding public-private-nonprofit partnership leading to the execution of a vision for environmental restoration through outstanding collaboration resulting in the multi-phase Town Brook Restoration project in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- The Connecticut Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects presented Milone & MacBroom with an Honor Award in Landscape Architectural Communication for the FirstLight Power Shoreline Manual. The 148 page manual supports FirstLight’s initiatives to provide appropriate sustainable shoreline management practices and help improve water quality, stabilize banks, and enhance shoreline habitat within their impoundments.
The Connecticut Building Congress (CBC) presented United Illuminating a CBC Project Team Award. Milone & MacBroom provided engineering, permitting, transportation planning, and traffic engineering for this project.
The Connecticut Building Congress (CBC) presented West Bristol School K-12 a First Place CBC Project Team Award. Milone & MacBroom provided engineering, landscape architecture, permitting, stormwater management, traffic engineering, and construction administration for this new school development project.
- The Vermont Association of Landscape Architects presented Milone & MacBroom an Open Space Honor Award for the design of a Fishing Platform on the New Haven River in Bristol, Vermont.
- The National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA) presented CTDOT a Quality in Construction Award for the Pavement Preservation of I-84 in the Towns of East Hartford and Manchester, Connecticut. Milone & MacBroom was an integral part of the construction inspection team for this $9.25 million project.
- Milone & MacBroom was awarded a Merit Award from CT ASLA for the West Bristol K-8 School Development project located in Bristol, Connecticut The firm assisted with schematic design through final design, bidding, and construction administration services.
- The Hartford Public Library, a recent project of Milone & MacBroom, was awarded the “CT Main Street Award of Excellence”. The firm assisted with survey, civil engineering and landscape architecture.
- Two Milone & MacBroom projects, the Riverwalk in Branford, Connecticut, and Landgon Quarters in Farmington, Connecticut, was awarded a prestigious Home Building Industry Awards (HOBI), which showcased the best products and services offered by Home Builders Association members in categories including new home construction, land development, remodeling, and commercial construction.
- The firm was honored by the American Council of Engineering Companies with an Engineering Excellence Award in recognition of the Grove Street/Route 67 realignment project.
- Milone & MacBroom was awarded a Merit Award from CT ASLA for design of the reconstruction of historic Rockwell Park in Bristol, Connecticut.
- The firm was awarded the 2011 Achievement in Civil Engineering (ACE) for Water Resources/Environmental Engineering for work on the water supply system for the Kleen Energy project in Middletown, by the Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers.
- Shanahan Field at Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford, Connecticut was recognized by the American Sports Builders Association (ASBA) as a winner in the multi-field category annual awards program.
- Milone & MacBroom was awarded a Community Spirit Award from the Friends of Farnam Neighborhood House.
- A Milone & MacBroom watershed management plan was extensively featured as a Case Study in the American Water Works Association (AWWA) Operational Guide to Source Water Protection (SWP). This book provides standardized guidance for developing source water protection plans and shares several fundamental elements that form the basis of the SWP standard, G300.
- Milone & MacBroom was selected by CE News Magazine as one of the Top 25 Firms in the Country to Work for, and one of the Top 10 Midsize Firms to Work for in the U.S. (defined as having 100 to 500 employees).
- Milone & MacBroom design, Chatfield Farm, an active adult community, received six HOBI design awards including "Best 55+ Community in Connecticut" and "Best 55+ Community in New England."
- Milone & MacBroom was awarded a Coastal America Award from NOAA for the Billington Street Dam Removal and the Ballou Dam Removal, both in Massachusetts, and the Fort Covington Dam Removal in New York.
- Milone & MacBroom design, Castle Heights, an active adult community, received the HOBI design awards for "Best Accessory Building in a Planned Community."
- Milone & MacBroom design, Autumn Estates, an active adult community, received several HOBI design awards including "Best Accessory Building in a Planned Community."
- Milone & MacBroom design, Ridgewood at Middlebury Development, received five state and national awards. The awards included the Connecticut’s Home Building Industry (HOBI) award for "Best Cluster Community" and "Best Community Clubhouse Design". They were also honored with the “National Award” sponsored by the National Association of Home Builders, for "Best Overall Landscape Design".
- The City of Clemson was awarded the 2002 "Community Builders Award for Outstanding Public Improvement" for the College Avenue and Downtown Public Improvement project, designed by Milone & MacBroom.
- The Cleveland Park project, was the recipient of the "2002 Design Excellence Award" from the City of Spartanburg, South Carolina, designed by Milone & MacBroom.
- The City of Clemson was awarded the 2001 "Housing Achievement Award" by the South Carolina State Housing Finance and Development Authority for the Blitz Build project, designed by Milone & MacBroom.
- The firm and the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection were awarded the “Tom Lee Award for Excellence” from the Association of State Floodplain Managers for The River Book. James MacBroom, co-founder and Senior Vice President of Milone & MacBroom is the author of this educational manual. The River Book was published to help guide local communities and design professionals in understanding riverine functions and establishing management strategies.
- Milone & MacBroom was given the "Distinguished Service Award" in recognition of the firm’s continued support and dedication to the principles and ideals of CASHO (Connecticut Association of Street and Highway Officials).
- The firm was presented with a 1996 Governor’s Environmental Award in recognition of its outstanding achievements in improving and preserving Connecticut’s environment. Each year this award is given to publicly acknowledge those who have made an outstanding contribution to the protection and enhancement to the State’s precious natural resources.
- The firm was presented an “Outstanding Organization Award” from the Southern New England Chapter of the American Fisheries Society. This award is in recognition of the firm’s “commitment to maintaining aquatic habitat and restoring fishery resources throughout Connecticut using innovative engineering solutions.”
- The Department of Defense National Committee for “Employer Support of the Guard and Reserves” recognized Milone & MacBroom for its continued support of their employees who serve in the Reserves. A “Certificate of Appreciation” was presented to John Milone, James MacBroom and Vincent McDermott (managing partners of Milone & MacBroom) by Commander Barbara Morgan of the Naval and Marine Corps Reserve Center located in New Haven, Connecticut.
- Merritt Parkway Landscape Master Plan, Fairfield Connecticut. A master plan was prepared for this 38-mile scenic roadway and received the following awards:
- 1995 Preservation Award from the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation.
- 1995 Merit Award from the Connecticut Chapter, American Society of Landscape Architects.
- Merit Award for Design from the National Endowment for the Arts and the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Farmington Canal Greenway, Cheshire Connecticut. Design, engineering and construction phase services for a three-mile section of the Farmington Canal Greenway. Awards received include:
- Recognized as one of “America’s Best Enhancement Projects” (selected from a panel of 80 nominated projects) at the 1996 National Transportation Enhancement Conference held in Washington D.C.
- Featured in “Building the Past, Traveling to the Future”, a guide for preserving and enhancing transportation corridors published by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.